O Christmas Tree

Chloe started telling me waaaay back in June that she was going to be a Christmas Tree for Halloween. I laughed and told her that was a great idea! Little did I know that she was not going to give up on her brilliant idea. As fall approached and I started looking for costumes for the kids, Chloe insisted that she needed to be a Christmas tree.

Bradley, of course, was easy - I found a cute Thomas the Tank Engine costume online and it was shipped lickety split. I tried to convince Chloe to be one of the other cute costumes I could buy, already made. I offered every princess, fairy, animal.... None would appease her.

She explained how much she LOVES Christmas and Christmas trees. She was special and would be so so sad if she couldn't be a Christmas tree.

So after the excitement of Bradley's party died down, I got to work. And, of course, I'll share with you how to make your very own Christmas Tree Costume.

First, you need 1.5 yards of Green Glitter Felt (on sale last weekend at JoAnn's!).

Fold your felt in half and then use a tape measure to mark a 1/2 circle 22" down. I just pinned the marks since I wasn't going to be cutting the straight circle. (Be sure to leave the wrong side out for all this marking - you don't want to mess up the glitter!)



Take a little bucket (from the Target $1 section) that you WERE going to alter, but it's just been sitting, so it might as well be used as a template for a scallop, and use the edge to mark off where you want your scallops around the edge of the circle. I just used plain old chalk to mark my scallops.

Cut on the chalk lines. Does NOT have to be perfect - your 4-year-old won't notice anyway.

Cut the neck hole by marking another circle (2.5") and cutting it out. Make a 3" slit in the front.

Turn right side out and embellish the heck out of the sucker with beads, foam ornaments, and a LOT of hot glue (only burnt myself once, but it's all nasty and blistered). (I sewed the beading on, but only at the peaks.)
I used my Crop-o-dile to punch the holes around the neckline, and then I just wove ribbon through so that it would fit Chloe better.


Slap some ribbon on a headband, make some present shoes and Woo-hoo! Your very own Custom Christmas Tree Costume sure to please even the pickiest Christmas Tree Costume connoisseur.





I can't even imagine what she is going to be next year!



Comments

Lori Hurst said…
Leah - that is beyond amazing! I am still just trying to get the courage up to RSVP to one of your Fridays. I definately do not have the creativity gene! She's beautiful!
Kristine said…
:) OH< HOW CUTE!! You're so very creative!! Wow...and it looks terrific too. I don't think I could've come up with something like that.
Elaine said…
Omg!! How adorable is that!!??

I wanted to let you know that I was stopping by. I wish I could have played the pumpkin game but my internet was OUT! :( It's good now, but I've got a lot of catching up to do! ;-)

Popular Posts